Workshop Wednesday: Working Holidays into Math Centers

I am excited to link up with Jivey for her "Workshop Wednesday!"  This week we are discussing ways to fit in holiday fun with our math centers and workshop.

It is hard to believe Thanksgiving only a week ago as the world around us immediately changes the focus to winter things (and I can't say as though I am too upset with this as I love looking at my Christmas tree each night!) In my classroom, the centers change weekly but the objectives continue to be the drive behind our instruction.

CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.B.4 Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem. For example, subtract 10 – 8 by finding the number that makes 10 when added to 8.

CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.2a 10 can be thought of as a bundle of ten ones — called a “ten.”

CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.2b The numbers from 11 to 19 are composed of a ten and one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine ones.

CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.2c The numbers 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 refer to one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine tens (and 0 ones).

My students are becoming quick with their addition facts.  However, subtraction is still a challenge.  I am trying to help my students to see subtraction as an unknown-addend problem.  As a result, we are working hard with missing addend math problems. Students help Santa find the Christmas tree that completes the math problem.  There is something about having "Santa" on cards that helps increase engagement with my little friends!



Checking for understanding is an important part of my math centers so that I can regroup students accordingly.  Once students have helped match the missing addend problems, students then complete a missing addend printable.  This helps hold my students accountable for their work center work as well helps me to drive my small group instruction.

Students use manipulatives when needed to help solve the math problems.  


Students also are hard at work this week with base 10 blocks.  Working with base 10 blocks is always interesting because students who have a strong number sense and understand place value easily and quickly understand this concept.  However, students who struggle with number sense continue to have a difficult time counting by 10s and 1s to figure out which number is which.  
I didn't even realize that I captured this little friend's shoes in the picture!  How cute are they?  
Wow, hard at work this group was able to get almost all of them matched!
I love bringing in the holidays because students are so enthusiastic about each holiday as it comes.  To see more holiday activities we will be working on in the next couple of weeks please click here on the pictures below:  

 

I almost forgot!  Here is a website students can use to practice addition facts.  Since this website has 3 different levels students can work on their own level as they practice addition facts.  Next week we will begin adding ones to tens so this will be a perfect way for students to practice from home!  






Thank you again to Jivey for hosting her "Workshop Wednesday!" I will be heading over there to see all kinds of other ideas on how to incorporate holiday fun into our math centers and workshop (make sure you stop by too there are lots of fabulous ideas!)  




Happy Wednesday! 
Amanda




7 comments

  1. Your math centers look so fun! I bet your kids can't wait to learn at centers! Thanks for sharing that website! My daughter is in 1st grade and I can't wait to show her!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up! Makes me miss first grade... A little. ;-)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! What awesome activities for your firsties! Thank you for the website link. You know I will be using it at home with my first grader! ;)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These look great!! I love the base ten gingerbread men! (Not to mention the Perry shoes!!! How fun!!) ;O)

    Looks like a lot of fun!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Christmas center ideas! I always love when you share the games you use in your classroom too! Thanks so much for sharing! Jackie jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your math fun! I really like the gingerbread base ten matching center game. That concept is just hard for some students. That would definitely give them more practice!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are still working on missing addends - just with a larger numbers - your activities look great and you can tell the kids are totally engaged!! Thanks for the website - I will be adding that to my collection of Christmas themed sites.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top