Math Mentor Text: Repeated Addition Word Problems

I am excited to link up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for their weekly mentor text linky!  Today, we are talking math mentor texts which I must say is one of my favorite weeks in their weekly linky!  
In my classroom, I  have a book basket for all of my math read alouds.  Anytime I find a book I can use as a math mentor text I simply put it in that basket.  Some of the books have specific lessons that I have created to extend the learning.  Other books I read to help expose and talk my students through specific concepts.  

This year when sorting through my books I saw this gem mixed in “Each Orange had 8 Slices: a Counting Book” by Paul Giganti, Jr.  I began reading it to my students and quickly realized this is an awesome book that I didn’t want to just read through but that I wanted to really talk about and discuss. 
Each page in this story is filled with beautiful pictures that illustrate the questions posed.   What I like LOVE about this book is each of the questions posed have students dig deeper into story problems.  They can not simply add the numbers they see below (which many of my first graders love to do.)  They either have to use repeated addition or multiplication to solve.  Now, multiplication for my little friends is a bit advanced but I do have one student who is practicing it because he as mastered both his addition and subtraction facts.  This book will be a great connection and lead to a wonderful discussion about how multiplication can be looked at as repeated addition.  
To make the most of this fabulous mentor text, I plan on reading one problem each day this week (instead of doing the entire book in one day) as a quick math warm-up.   When reading this page to my first graders tomorrow I know many will shout out, "11"  because students immediately take the numbers (3, 6 and 2) and add them together without truly thinking about the question that is being asked.  However,  my hope is by the end of this week students will know that I am trying to "trick" them and they will take their time-draw a picture and truly solve the problem!  

To continue this activity up to Winter Break I made a quick freebie to use the following week with my first graders.  Click on either of the pictures below to grab your copy.  Enjoy!
Thank you again to Amanda and Stacia for hosting this linky!  I always find so many great mentor texts to use in my classroom.  If you haven't already, make sure you hop on over to Collaboration Cuties for some great math mentor texts!  
Happy Sunday!
Amanda




4 comments

  1. I love your repeated addition activity/mentor text and freebie! I'm sharing this post with my daughter's teacher! Thanks!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't have this book!!!! I neeeeeeeeeeeeeed it!! I love how you are differentiating and challenging your students with this book! And your freebie is AWESOME and I can use it in 4th!! They still have trouble actually reading the problem! They still want to just add all the number when they get to 4th! How happy your fourth grade teachers at your school will be that you are doing this already!! Awesome!!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that book! I did the same thing when I was in the classroom- when I would find great books for math or whatever subject, they went into a basket to be pulled from later. So great to find good books for math!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top