Thanksgiving has arrived in our classroom!

Well November sure is moving right along here...which of course meant I had to break out my Thanksgiving centers already this week!  Check out what we were up to this week...

1. I realized that I don't have very many Thanksgiving books- these are seriously the only two I have, but thankfully I have lots of Fall themed books to read throughout November.  I will also be looking into Scholastic to add some more Thanksgiving ones to my library very soon!



2. I broke out my Thanksgiving centers right away this week to get my little friends practicing their usual skills with a new theme.  Our Thanksgiving literacy centers this week included:

Reading and sorting CVC and CVCe words-




Fluency Sentence Cards and illustrating a sentence-



We've been loving the cute little graphics...you can check out this pack here!

3. My little friends loved this Tell the Turkey graphic organizer that we filled out after our read alouds this week. Since we've done it together now, I'll add it into our reading response graphic organizers in the upcoming weeks.  My little friends got a good giggle out of the idea that they were 'telling the turkey' about our story.




You can download this freebie here! It's great for any grade level!

4. I don't know about in your house, but there has been a lot of football watching going on and I've been bringing football into my classroom too to get my little friends excited about sight words! My students have been so motivated by the football theme and I'm loving their current excitement for sight words during this loooong football season. :)


When we have an extra minute during our groups, I let my friends quiz each other with the sight word cards! They love this quick little activity and I love giving them the chance to be the teacher and work with each other. 

I make sure that my little friends are also practicing reading our sight words in context within sentences by doing this practice page once a week where they read and then practice finding their words of the week within the sentences. 


My little friends LOVE filling in their color chart.  I check 1-2x a month to make sure they are making progress with their words and they get so very excited to color in new boxes each time!


Once they know all their Pre Primer words, they get an award and then can start the new set of all these fun activities with Primer & 1st Grade Dolch words which are all included in this pack.  If you are looking for a new way to motivate your students and you happen to know they love football, you can check out this pack here!

5. I am so excited to be starting our 3 day weekend-- we have Monday off in honor of Veteran's Day...is anyone else so lucky as well?? I'm looking forward to a weekend of relaxing, hanging out with family and probably getting some things done too! :)

Thanks TBA and Doodlebugs for your fabulous weekly linkies!


Freebie Fridays 

Have a great weekend!
Aylin





5 comments

  1. hey nice post mehn. I love your style of blogging here. The way you writes reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: Does This ‘Religious Blindness’ Also Pertains To You? .
    keep up the good work.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fun post! I bet the kids love the football theme! I have 18 boys this year and need to do this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I seriously cannot imagine having 18 boys in one room- that is a whole lot!

      Delete
  3. So many creative ideas in one post! I love Thanksgiving!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of fun, learning activities! Your fluency sentence cards are so cute!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top