Sunday, August 11, 2013

Must Read Math Mentor Text-Domino Addition

Weekends have been crazy busy this summer that I haven't had as much time as I would like to be linking up with one of my linkies!  Don't worry I have still been reading (and pinning) all the great mentor texts that I need to search my local library for or purchase and add to my own library!  Today, I am getting back into the "swing of things" and linking up with Amanda and Stacia over at Collaboration Cuties for a fabulous math mentor text linky.

We start school one week from tomorrow.  Oh my word-I still can't believe it!  Although my brain never really turns off "school mode"completely I am now much more aware of specific things that need to get done in this next week as opposed to working on random school projects at my leisure.

This year we will be starting our year covering many of the Operations and Algebraic Thinking core standards.  Students will be continuing to build their foundation on addition and subtraction number sentences.  We will be focussing on helping students understand the relationship between each of the numbers in the number sentence and how addition and subtraction relate to one another.

CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.C.6 Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10. Use strategies such as counting on; making ten (e.g., 8 + 6 = 8 + 2 + 4 = 10 + 4 = 14); decomposing a number leading to a ten (e.g., 13 – 4 = 13 – 3 – 1 = 10 – 1 = 9); using the relationship between addition and subtraction (e.g., knowing that 8 + 4 = 12, one knows 12 – 8 = 4); and creating equivalent but easier or known sums (e.g., adding 6 + 7 by creating the known equivalent 6 + 6 + 1 = 12 + 1 = 13).

I genuinely enjoy starting lessons with a mentor text because it gets my students thinking in a different way.  My students love reading math texts because they are typically patterned and students are able to say answers out loud as I read which builds their confidence in many areas.



This story walks students through adding using dominos.  It is extremely "helpful" because even my most reluctant students quickly build confidence after reading this story that they too "can add!"  This book goes all the way up to having sums of 12 which is also great because so many beginning addition books stop with 10 and it is nice to expose kids at the beginning of the year to higher sums.  

Here is a freebie that I plan to use with my first graders after reading the book.  You can get it by clicking here


As I continue to work on reinforcing addition with my first graders and help them to understand what it means to add 2+3 together I plan on doing more domino activities.  Below are a QR Code Understanding Addition and a set without QR Codes that I plan on using to engage my firsties further on addition.  

    

If you haven't already make sure to hop on over to Collaboration Cuties to see all of the other wonderful math read alouds!  Did you notice they have a new button for this linky?!?  I am loving the  change-super cute!  

Happy Sunday!
Amanda


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought to use a mentor text to start Math...what a fantastic idea! We use Everyday Math in our school, but I'm sure there must be a way to fit them in somehow.

    Thank you!

    Meredith
    1, 2, Eyes On You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this book! I think using dominoes is such a great visual for them when they are adding or building numbers! Super cute! And I agree, I love starting a new unit with a book!

    Thanks for linking up! Good luck getting ready for school to start back!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...