Math Mentor Text and Freebie!

I am linking up with Collaboration Cuties for their weekly mentor text linky! Today's subject is math. There are so many great books to choose from that get kids thinking about math while listening to a story.  I also love math stories because there are many quick activities that can go with each story that get kids practicing a specific skill in a fun way!  


This week I am using Warthogs in the Kitchen: a Sloppy Counting Book by Pamela Duncan Edwards and Henry Cole.   



This book is full of funny surprises as the warthogs try to whip up muffins!  As you can imagine warthogs in aprons is a hoot in itself and the silly ingredients these animals use to make their muffins only add to the humor of this book!

It is a great book because students quickly become involved and begin counting along with the warthogs.   I love when I am reading this story, about to turn the page, and I have 28 hands go up in the air, waving anxiously at me, because they know what number is going to next! They are so proud of themselves because they figured out the author's secret and are able to "read along" with the story! 

CCSS.Math.Content.K.CC.A.1 Count to 100 by ones and by tens.
CCSS.Math.Content.K.CC.A.2 Count forward beginning from a given number within the known sequence (instead of having to begin at 1).
CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.A.1 Count to 120, starting at any number less than 120. In this range, read and write numerals and represent a number of objects with a written numeral.

Counting is a basic skill that, to be honest, I sometimes overlook.  I assume my kiddos come in knowing how to count and understand the numbers they are saying.  As we work our way through addition it always seems as though kids understand numbers (because we are working with numbers under 10.)  It is not until we get further into the year and start talking about place value and bigger 2 and 3 digit numbers that it becomes obvious some of  my kiddos do not have the number sense I thought they did.

This year I want to start the year really focussing on numbers and counting.  I want to make it a priority in my teaching to get kids practicing counting every day, starting on different numbers just as the common core states.  I want students to better understand number patterns so that when we get to place value their foundation is stronger and it "clicks" better for even my struggling firsties.      

In order to help my first graders practice and get excited for counting I created this Freebie and these Math Centers!  

Printables to help students count forwards and backwards up to 100 and 120!
Math centers and activities to engage students in counting!
A lot of thought went into these math centers and activities because I know how important it is to keep my kids engaged with counting throughout the year.  In order to give my kids the strongest foundation possible in mathematics they really have to understand numbers and the patterns that numbers follow.  This strong number sense will help them as they progress in first grade as well as when kids move through to different grade levels and dig deeper into mathematics.  Click here to see these math centers!

Happy Sunday!
Amanda 


8 comments

  1. This books sounds adorable. Understanding numbers and number patterns is definitely a skill that shouldn't be taken lightly. Students must have a strong understanding with this before moving on in math.

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about the importance of number sense. The reason I have kids that would struggle in 5th grade math is mainly number sense. They never had a strong background. Thanks for sharing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks really fun! I'm totally with you on the number sense! We have kids come to 4th still not having and concept of a number, it's place, or it's value. It's kinda scary. We appreciate awesome teachers like you laying that foundation so early! The centers look super cute!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! I love it...I've never heard of this book, but am going to have to have it! Thanks for the adorable, hilarious book ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book, and rarely use it! I will have to peek at it and see how I can incorporate it with counting activities. Thanks for the reminder to use it!

    Gwen
    Learning With Mrs. Brinn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of that book. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!
    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the freebie! I have the math centers on my wish list. The book is adorable!!! It will come in handy with counting this fall. I'm taking a CGI (Cognitive Guided Instruction) class & they told us to have the kids count things. So thanks for reminding me to get started collecting things to count.

    I also wanted to chat with you again over the summer more about QR codes, websites you use for each of your math units & etc. like you have been sharing. I need to get more organized over the summer. Thanks again, Jackie
    jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top