Workshop Wednesday: Motivating Writers

I am linking up with Jivey today for her Weekly Workshop Wednesday!  Each week there are so many great ideas so make sure to check out the all the other ideas to by clicking here!  This week we are talking about how to keep students energized during writing.

If you have ever worked with first graders you know that they love to tell stories. After every weekend my first graders come in with lots of stories!  Who am I kidding??? In between every subject or transition from the carpet to the tables-first graders have stories!  Lots and lots of them!

First graders love to tell stories so my first trick of keeping my little ones energized to write is simply disussing with them often that writing is just stories put on paper.  Each day as students come in to my room with new stories...I frequently respond by saying  "I can't wait to hear more but don't just tell my about it... write about it!" Simple, I know but it works!  

My second trick involves creating an audience for students to share with.  Use this freebie below to help create an audience in your class.  In my room, with 28 kids we are on a 2 week rotation.  In the corner of the freebie below I wrote "Week 1" and "Week 2."   I flip it to whatever "week" we are on and that's how we know who is going to be sharing for the day.  I have 2 or 3 kids each day which is all that I currently have time for.  

Students love sharing with their classmates all that they are writing about.  When they are the author for the day students get to sit in the rocking chair and read their writing to the class.  After they finish reading, they share their illustration and ask for any questions.  Students then call on 2 questions.  It is important when starting your "Author's Chair" that you model the kinds of questions you want your students to ask.  In our room we talk about asking questions that will help our authors to be able to add to their piece.  Lots of first graders want to simply comment but not ask questions.  It has taken a lot of modeling but most of my friends have it down and are able to ask good questions to help our authors extend their writing.  

Use this freebie to help organize your "Author's Chair" and keep kids motivated to write by giving them the time to share their writing!  


Happy Wednesday!
Amanda


7 comments

  1. Oh yes, I remember the first grade days of writing! :) I love the idea of the author's chair! Thanks for linking up! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me at 28 first graders! You have time to write? I'd be busy counting to make sure I didn't lose anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you let them talk before they write! I bet that helps a lot with the little kiddos. :) Your post made me smile. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of an author's chair. I read a book recently where the author had a great deal of success using a mathematicians chair to get kids to share thinking. I love the idea of giving one kid such focused attention and really valuing their ideas.

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your advice about modeling the kinds of questions you want your kids to ask! I'm teaching first grade now, so at the beginning of the year there's a lot of, "I like your story" questions in my class ;)
    I've always love the idea of an author's chair- maybe next year I actually use one. Thanks for the reminder!
    I really like your blog! I just started following by email and Pinterest.I'm looking forward to more of your posts!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. The author's chair is so fun! Kids of all ages get so excited when they can share and celebrate their writing. Your freebie is adorable!! It's so fun to see our products being used! Thanks for letting me know!! :O)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top