Math Must Read Mentor Text with a Freebie!

I am linking up with Collaboration Cuties today!  Collaboration Cuties hosts a great linky for must read mentor texts.  We absolutely love checking out there blog for all kinds of good stuff!  This week the linky is for math mentor texts.  



A book is a simple way to get kids talking about specific concepts or skills.  To get kids discussing and noticing the shapes all around us I will be reading Skippyjon Jones Shape Up. All of my first graders love the Skippyjon Jones books and this book is no different!  Although it is much more basic they love seeing Skippyjon Jones on each of the pages.
CCSS.Math.Content.1.G.A.1 Distinguish between defining attributes (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided) versus non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size); build and draw shapes to possess defining attributes.

After reading this book we will be walking around the room looking for any shapes that we see hanging on walls, in bookshelves, in our backpacks/cubbies, anywhere! Depending on their ability level students will be writing, drawing (or both!)  all of the different shapes they find can find that fit into each category.  

Once students have been given enough time walk around the classroom and find the shapes that are all around us we will create a big list together as a class. After this list is created, as a class we will discuss the similarities amongst the objects in each category.  We will then come up with characteristics of each shape i.e. all triangles are closed and have 3 sides.  

To grab this freebie click here! To grab more free lessons go on over to Classroom Freebies and to see more great math lessons and resources hop on over to Love2Learn2Day!

I am also linking up with Flying Into First today!  It is fun to get to read about other teacher bloggers and Flying into First gives us that opportunity each and every week in her "Let's Get Acquainted" linky party!


1. What made you decide to become a teacher? 
Every year I have at least a handful of first graders that tell me they want to be a teacher when they grow-up.  That was me.  I knew from the time I was in first grade that is what I wanted to do...and I never looked back!  As I got older every opportunity I had to work with children I took-I taught swim lessons, coached soccer and swimming, and tutored.  From a very young age I knew I wanted to be a teacher and I am grateful everyday that I was able to find a job and have my own classroom.  Teaching is such a gratifying profession and I feel blessed to be in it.

2. What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher?
It is hard to name just one!  Teaching is a profession that has rewarding experiences every day if you take the time to look for them.  I am lucky to work in a grade level where growth-socially, emotionally, and academically is very obvious from the beginning to the end of the year.  Many of my first graders came in not being able to read, add/subtract, tell time, tie their shoes, ect. and they will leave being able to do all of these things!  The end of the year always makes me proud and feels like an amazing reward as I think of how these little friends came in and how they will leave.  Students have grown a lot this  year and if you ask me it is quite rewarding to know I helped contribute to their growth!

3. If you were not a teacher, what would you be?
I have been asked this question before...and still struggle to come up with a good answer!  I will list a few things that peek my interest and I think would also be very fun jobs...personal organizer (I think it would be a blast to help people organize their things for a living,) animal trainer (I love animals and although I don't think I would want to be a vet because there are too many sad moments too I think I would genuinely enjoy working with animals as a trainer,)  or a therapist (I consider myself a pretty good listener and love to hear people's stories....I think being a therapist would let me combine these two things for an interesting job!) There you have it but even as I was typing these jobs I couldn't help but to think about the reasons why I would never leave my job as a teacher-I simply love teaching and all that comes with it far too much!

Happy Monday!
Amanda

   


11 comments

  1. I am loving the progress that I am seeing at the end of this year with my first graders! It is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being a personal organizer would be great too! I do not like being in spaces that are disorganized and chaos. Love to organize and clean it up!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of the mentor text link up! I will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have had an amazing effect on your students!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok. I totally love SkippyJonJones. How have I never heard of this book??? I'm very sad that I don't have it in my collection, but I can fix that fast!

    And, I ALSO would choose to be a personal organizer for someone!! I didn't even know that existed until my husband and I were watching the Bachelor this season and that was one of the girl's jobs. I was working on something and when her job description popped up with her name, he paused it on DVR and said, do you see what her job is? That's totally you! I was like, wow, that's a job?! I'd totally do that if I couldn't be a teacher!! How fun that we are so alike!! :O) I also minored in psychology... :O)

    How do you get your font like that for the questions?
    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for linking up at Math Monday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not have this Skippyjon Jones book. I'm sure it's super cute. Your activity seem like great, simple, and real world way to to practice geometry. Thanks for sharing the freebie.
    Also thanks for stopping by. I'm a follower of yours as well.

    Have a great week.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you decide to become a personal organizer let me know I would hire you! First grade is definitely a rewarding year for sure! I am always amazed by people who know what they want to be at a young age:) Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Kristy
    The Phonics Phenomenon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the shape freebies! We love them!!! We can't wait to use them tomorrow! :)

    Melissa and Brittany
    Frugal In First

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not an organized person and seriously need help in that department :) It sounds like you are right where you are meant to be! I'm your newest follower :)
    Maribel
    Learning In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Skippyjon Jones books! Found your blog through the linky. I'm your newest follower :)
    Laura
    Over the 1st Grade Rainbow

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top