Greater than, Less than, Equal to centers, websites, and an app!

It's a rainy Wednesday here in Chicago but we are quickly making our way through April and although I am not a fan of rain I am happy that it is not snow!  

This week we are continuing to work on number sense in first grade.  It is an ongoing process but I genuinely feel like most of my kids are truly gaining a deep understanding of numbers which is creating a strong foundation for them in mathematics.  

CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.3 Compare two two-digit numbers based on meanings of the tens and ones digits, recording the results of comparisons with the symbols >, =, and <.

We have been focussing on greater than and less than in first grade.  Below my students are using QR Codes to complete math sentences.  After laminating the cards students wrote on each card with dry-erase marker and then checked their work by using the QR Code.  Students then recorded their answers  to show their work.  

 


Here are a few of the websites we have used during our centers to reinforce the greater than/less than/equal to concept.   

 

 


CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.C.5 Given a two-digit number, mentally find 10 more or 10 less than the number, without having to count; explain the reasoning used.

When I am working with guided math groups it is so important to me that I can see my other kids working hard and practicing their skills.  Having students write on whiteboards makes it easy for me to look out from my guided groups to quickly see if students are correctly working on their activities.  

Below students continued their number sense practice in a game "Roll, Add 10, Color!"  Being aware of where numbers are on the number grid and being able to add 10 to numbers quickly and easily is a skill we are continuing to work on.   


Here is another one of our add/subtract 10 number centers.  Students used their number grids to cut and glue numbers in their correct parts.  Since the numbers didn't all start in the middle this was a real challenge for students and forced them to really think about the numbers and their placement on the number grid.  It also really showed me which students are understanding numbers on a deeper level and who is struggling with this concept.  



To see the number sense products I have been using in my math centers please click the pictures below.  

   

Today, I am also linking up with The Techie Teacher to share a favorite app we have been using in our classroom this week! Line 'em Up is a free app that helps my students with basic number sense concepts of ordering numbers from least to greatest.  In this app, you can choose the number range and how many numbers you want children to order from least to greatest.  This fabulous because it makes it easy to differentiate for children in your classroom.  








Happy Wednesday!
Amanda


3 comments

  1. I found your blog through the linky! I'm so glad I did! You've got some great ideas for math. We touched on greater than and less than this week and I really wanted some interactive games to along with our lessons. Thanks for sharing all of those great sites! I LOVE McDonald's Mocha Frappes! I wish I had one right now! I'm a new follower!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your number grid! Awesome. I am your newest follower--I would love to have you come by and visit my blog. I am also having a linky. It's all about the dollar. Anything you buy, sell, find, or love that is only a dollar.

    www.ateacherwithoutaclass.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That even number thing is funny! Glad I found you through the linky party. Thanks for sharing with your newest follower, Heather

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top