Thursday, April 25, 2013

Class Dojo (an online behavior management tool!)


Classroom management is something that I feel as teachers we are always working on.  We are constantly adding new tricks to our bags but  I do not think it is ever fully mastered.  Tricks that worked last year with certain students might not work this year and vice-versa.  Each year as we get a new group of students in our room we need to adjust to meet their needs and help them to feel safe, loved, and welcome to create the best learning environment possible.

I have recently gone digital with my classroom management!  I had heard of Class Dojo but was not sure if it was something that would work in my classroom...well I gave it a try...and I can honestly say I don't know who loves it more...the kids or me?!?!  Class Dojo is not only a website but it is also a free app which makes it incredibly easy to set it up on a phone, iPad or computer.  


Setting-Up Class Dojo: 
Once clicking on the orange button (seen above) a few questions will need to be answered to get started.  You will enter your name, your email, and say if you are teacher or not.  That's it, really!  Then, it is time to really get started. You will now get to add all of your students names as well as choose positive and negative behaviors you will be targeting in your classroom.  

I’m all set-up...now what?
After you have it all set-up you can get started!  
You can always go back and adjust "positive" and "negative" awards at any point.  I suggest starting with a few and then adding more as needed.  
It is that simple!  My students have been incredibly motivated by this system.  They love their avatars and love seeing their "points" go up!  

Graphs, Reports and Data:
When in the "reports" section of Class Dojo there are many graphs to view. The graphs can help to target specific behaviors for the class or individual students.  Both positive and negative behaviors can be viewed.  Graphs can be looked at for the day, week, month, last month, or you can even customize your dates.  



Parent Involvement:
It is incredibly easy to get parents involved in Class Dojo!  You can even see when parents last accessed their child's reports which makes it easier on me (I no longer have to wonder if a parent saw/talked to their child about their day.) I now know when parents look at their child's daily reports.  You can also leave notes for parents so when they log in they can read your note about their child's day.  Parents get to see an individual graph for their child.  They can see the positives their child was recognized for and the struggles their child is having.  


Class Dojo in our Classroom:
The biggest improvements I have seen with my class since using Class Dojo is our transitions as well as our carpet time.  Students get immediate feedback with "positive" and "negative" awards.  Since Class Dojo is an app as well as a website it makes it easy to go from the computer, to my phone, to an iPad we have in the room.  Whatever device is by me... I can simply grab and add points for students.  I can even bring an iPad with me in the hallway as we walk to gym or music to reward students for their hallway behavior. 

Students love to hear the "bing" when they get a positive award.    I do not leave it up on the Smart Board all day but we do frequent check-ins to show students how many "points" each child has.  During transitions I will often ask a child to look for all of the kids sitting quietly on the carpet and reward them a point.  The picture below is of my 1st graders sitting super quietly on our carpet as one student gives an award to multiple students.  In our room, the goal is to get to "10" by the end of the day.  

Putting 2 fingers up in the air is our school's "quiet sign."  My kids are so motivated by getting extra Dojo Points that they will come to the carpet super quietly just to get that award! 
I created several tools and helpers to keep my kids motivated and engaged with ClassDojo.  To help enhance you ClassDojo experience check out this these Behavior Management Helpers that align with ClassDojo!


To see these helpers and many more tools click here or on the picture below!  ClassDojo has helped streamline my classroom management tremendously and I hope these tools can help you as you start on ClassDojo too!  If you haven't already checked out Class Dojo I highly suggest giving it a try!  In our school many grade levels have tried Class Dojo from kindergarten to fifth grade-I have heard lots of positive feedback from all grade levels that have tried it.


To read the Top 5 Reason to try Class Dojo this year click here or the picture below! 


Thanks to Collaboration CutiesHead Over Heals for Teaching, and Ideas by Jivey for hosting the Peace, Love, Hope and Kindness Linky.  It is hard not to get sucked into the craziness of the world we live in today.  However, each day when I take the time to truly look around I am also reminded of all the good that is out in our world as well...sometimes you just have to pay a little extra attention to see it.  

I loved Stacia's idea over at Collaboration Cuties idea of  "just because" moments. These stories happen every day but our world is moving so quickly that we sometimes miss them...it is important to slow down and take these little moments and acts of kindness in.    

Here is my "just because" story that warmed my heart....  

One of my students is struggling to learn how to tie his shoes.  This little boy practices and often gets noticeably frustrated. He will say things like "Oh man, I thought I had it..." or "I keep trying but I can't..."  In the coarse of the year I have had several students help him by simply tying his shoes for him.  However, one little girl always goes the extra mile to try to teach him the steps.  She is so patient with him and the other day she literally took off her shoe and had him practice on it saying the steps over and over for him.  I saw her moving his hands with him to help him to get that "bunny" through its "hole."  Although he still struggles to tie his shoes this little girl always seems to find him and lend a helping hand.  I know it will be a big moment for both of them when he does eventually learn how to tie his shoes independently.  

Make sure to click here to check out many more heartwarming stories!  

    

Happy Thursday!
Amanda

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet story!! Thanks for linking up!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about Dojo...thanks for sharing this post.
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, how sweet is that just because story!! I hope that little boy never forgets that this little girl tried to help him! So sweet!!

    Thanks for linking up friend!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for you to post when he learns to ties his shoes!!! So sweet-thanks for sharing!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking up at my Thursday's Tech Tips for Teachers! I had so much fun last night getting started with Class Dojo! :)
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amanda - Kalen from ClassDojo here. Just wanted to reach out and say thank you for this great post - so happy to hear it's going well in your classroom!

    We'd love to add you to our VIP bloggers list - let me know if you're interested: kaleng@classdojo.com :)

    If there's ever anything we can do for you, please don't hesitate to reach out.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just learned all about how to use Class Dojo! I am super excited to dive into it this year! Not sure if I am going to use it individually or whole class, but looks totally engaging! Thanks for all your insights!! Very helpful!

    -Caitlin
    Table Talk with C & C

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

.