Freebie Friday: Number of the Day!

  • CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.A.1 Count to 120, starting at any number less than 120. In this range, read and write numerals and represent a number of objects with a written numeral.
We use our counting books on a regular basis to practice counting to 120.  We count by 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s starting at different numbers.  It is a quick activity that only takes 2 minutes at most but we try to do it each day before lunch.  As we orally count, students are expected to point to each of the numbers as they say them.  


In order to help my first graders gain a deeper understanding of numbers we have started picking a number each day and answer each of the bubbles about it.  Students use their number grids to locate a specific number and then we practicing hopping up (to subtract 10,) down (to add 10,) to the right (to add 1,) and to the left (to subtract 1.)    As of right now we are doing it whole group while my students follow along but I am hoping with a little more practice students will soon be able to do this independently.  

This is a new routine for us but it really seems to be helping as one of my first graders shouted out the other day "I know how to add 39+20-I just take 2 hops down instead of 1!"  She was so excited to be able to add "big" numbers and I am waiting for more students to have this "ah-ha" moment and realize they too can add "big" numbers! 

To get this freebie click here.  I bought the black picture frame from the $1 Tree and simply placed the "Today's Number" inside.  I use a dry erase marker each day to fill in our numbers and then wipe it off at the end of the school day.  




Happy Friday!
Amanda


No comments

Back to Top