Base 10 Block Websites and Task Cards!

CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.2 Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones.
CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.2a 10 can be thought of as a bundle of ten ones — called a “ten." 
CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.2c The numbers 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 refer to one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine tens (and 0 ones).

This past week we have been discussing place value and base 10 blocks.  It is a fun topic to hit on because students are so excited to really jump-in.  Students finally feel like they can do "big kid problems!"  I overhear my first graders saying things like "I know what 50+3 equals..do you??" and "Who can add 30+20?!?"  Understanding both of these questions tells me that students are really gaining a deeper understanding of number sense which is very gratifying for me because all year we have been working towards this goal.

Students have been using hands-on manipulatives to help them better understand place value.  Sometimes my higher students want to rush through problems and choose to stay away from manipulatives but my lower students really need the hands-on play.  When working with my guided math groups students were asking if they could "break" apart the tens into ones and I also found students counting each one of the blocks in their "ten" only to realize every time that it was 10...so they could actually just count by 10s as opposed to counting each cube in the "ten" each time.  These are very important experiences for younger students.

We follow Pearson EnVision for our math curriculum.
The SmartBoard is almost always a math center choice for students.  Each week I create a Smart Notebook File with several games that go along with the topics we are discussing.

Students choose from a variety of games that reinforce the skills we are working on in guided math.
Here are some of the place value games students are playing this week. Click on the pictures below to go to the different place value links!

  

  


  


Another center my first graders are doing this week are task cards.  They love walking around and being detectives so I couldn't help but to create some Base 10 Task Cards! The cards were posted all around the room and students went on a hunt answering the different questions using their recording sheets.  Students get so excited to be detectives and search for all of the numbers and cards around the room!   
Task cards are put up all around the room.  
Students walk around to find each of the task cards.  
Students count the number of tens and ones.

Students record their answers on their recording sheet by each of the numbers.

My first graders loved these Base 10 Block Task Cards!  They are a great fit in my room because they are fun for the kids and the recording sheets help me to better gauge student understanding of the counting base 10 blocks.  You can grab these task cards by clicking here

For more centers and activities, aligned to the common core, that work with base 10 blocks click here or the picture below!  







Happy Monday!
Amanda


15 comments

  1. I should have put relax and sleep in on my bucket list but I don't think that will probably happen with my 3 littles being at home with me! ;O)
    I have a bad tendency to stay up late to try to get things done while they sleep but then I still have to get up early. I need to fix that probably...

    Exercise and catching up with the DVR will also be on the agenda. My DVR is fuuuuuuull! Yikes!

    And we know teachers can't get by on a break without doing some schoolwork...sigh...but that's why were are teachers, right? ;O)

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I can only imagine that little ones at home make the whole "sleeping and relaxing" thing a little more challenging! But I am sure they also make breaks that much more fun and exciting!

      Hope you are able to get your "bucket list" things in on spring break-we will have to check back in on the whole "exercise" thing---it's at least a good goal, right?!!?!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!


      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up with me! Sounds like you will have a wonderful break...I feel the same about my mom too! Thanks again! I am your newest follower!

    Brigid
    Brigid's Daily Lesson Log

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Brigid! I'm glad I found your linky because even just thinking about my spring break bucket list has helped me get through this last week before spring break!

      Delete
  3. Oh I SOOOO need to have my kiddos using the Promethean Board as a center activity for math. What a great blog post! Thank you for the inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah for the kind words and thanks for visiting our blog! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing these ideas!! We are working on place value and these games look great!
    Kathy
    Coloring Outside The Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Kathy! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Looking at all the great smart board activities makes me a little green eyed! I'm lucky to have the technology we do though!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jenny...any technology is a great addition to the classroom!

      Delete
  6. I just love your blog! I want to use more technology in my room. I chatted with you about the QR codes. But would also like to know more about your weekly topics & games you have on your Smartboard as a center. You showed us 3 of the 5 games listed. We will be starting place value at the end of the week, so I can set these up on mine to have as a center. I really need to get your Base 10 Task cards also. You keep me inspired to want to learn more for the kids. I have a long way to go, but will hopefully work harder over the summer & maybe we can chat more.
    Thanks again, Jackie
    jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! I will email you with the rest of the games we are using this week for our base 10 practice :) The kids love using the SmartBoard as a center. It's fun for them and it's easy for me to see that they are practicing skills correctly just by glancing up from guided groups which I love!! :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for linking up with Math Monday! This is a great entry!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Cindy! Thanks for hosting and for stopping by our blog!

      Delete
  8. We have a new iPad app that gives kids an interesting twist on base 10 blocks - the blocks are cute characters that they can bounce around the screen. Kids can also watch the characters group into 10s and split 10s up into ones. The app is aligned with the common core for kindergarten and first grade and can be used as a classroom tool that's fun and entertaining. Kids would also enjoy using it at home to explore the mechanics of basic addition and subtraction. The app is called iGet Math: Base 10 and here is a link to it in the iTunes store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iget-math-base10/id824021388?ls=1&mt=8 We also have some ideas for how to use the app on our website: learningwithmeaning.com Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top