New Year, New Ideas, New Possibilities Linky Party: Guest Blogger- Karlie from We are ALL Special!

I am so excited to be a guest blogger on Daily Learning to the Core!  This is part of Primary Possibilities's linky - "New Year, New Ideas, New Possibilities Linky" where bloggers have the opportunity to guest post on someone else's blog.




I'm Karlie from We Are All Special!  This is my first year in a new position teaching 1st and 2nd grade special education, emphasizing inclusion and co-teaching.  The past two years I worked at a different school as a kinder-4th grade EBD teacher in a self-contained setting.  When I have free time I enjoy watching movies with my boyfriend, reading (currently reading the Mortal Instruments series), and jogging (I'm hoping to do a half marathon this summer).



We Are All Special!


This is my first time guest blogging, and I have been researching Amanda and Aylin's blog to try to type the best post I can for them:)  So keeping with their common core and technology theme (and adding my own special ed twist), I'm posting about an iPad app I'm using in my classroom:)
A lot of my 2nd grade students have goals to count money.  Based on the Common Core Mathematics Standards, 2nd graders should...


2.MD.8 - Solve word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, using $ and ¢ symbols appropriately. Example: If you have 2 dimes and 3 pennies, how many cents do you have?


Before I have my students jump right in with money story problems, I have them work with just counting coins.  The Counting Money app by King's Apps (FREE), is a great practice and assessment tool.


Under settings you can... -select practice or quiz mode.  In practice mode students can fix incorrect answers.  In quiz mode they only have one chance to give a correct answer.-you can adjust how many questions you would like students to answer.-customize the amount of money you want your students to count change to.-the app gives you the students' score when they complete their practice or quiz.  (This is perfect for data collection!)



Here one of my students is dragging coins to the top to make $0.83.  I believe he used 8 dimes and 3 pennies to make this total.

One thing I do not like, is that it doesn't give you a "handful of change" to count.  It only gives you an amount, and you have to choose what coins you want to count up to that amount.  So a student could choose to only use dimes or pennies.  So I won't be using this as my sole money counting data collection tool.  



I hope you find this app useful and fun:)Thank you again to Amanda and Aylin for letting me guest blog.  It has been a great treat!

*We are so happy that Karlie was our guest blogger today! She definitely has fabulous ideas and a very informative blog- so head on over to We are ALL Special! and follow her! Please also go check out our guest blog post over on Mona's blog: First Grade Schoolhouse.  She also has great ideas, so we highly recommend following her blog as well! Thanks again to both Karlie and Mona for linking up with us!

Have a great day!
Amanda & Aylin




2 comments

  1. Just wanted the two of you to know that I gave you some love today! Your blog is awesome!
    Mary Beth
    Run Teacher, Run

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a note to download that money app as I am getting ready to teach a unit on money. Thanks!

    New follower!

    Covered in Glitter and Glue

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top