Word Families-using Keynote, Pages and SMART Notebook

Hi, I am a first grade teacher looking to give back to the blog community.  For the past few years, I have religiously checked many blogs and I am excited to be able to give back to a group of people who have helped me to grow professionally.

I teach in a 1:1 classroom; which means each of my first graders have their very own laptop!  Crazy, right?  Although I know an entire classroom of laptops is rare-I am hoping this blog will help you to integrate technology successfully into your classroom. We can learn together through my mistakes as well as successes! 




Common Core Alignment CC.1.R.G.3.b 

Each week my first graders work hard at reading and adding to our "Word Family of the Week."  We do a different activity every day to help us with decoding-specifically working on "chunking" these new words so students are able to read them automatically.  

This week we worked on the "et" word family.  At the end of the week my students created a page in their word family book.




Here one of my students typing her words that belong in the "et" word family.  After typing in words students are able to find pictures to match and record themselves reading each words.
  

In my classroom, I am using using SMART Notebook Software to create these word family books but I have also used Keynote and Pages to complete this project.  Students love to choose their own pictures to go with each word so they work hard to get as many words as they can into their document!


Whether you have one laptop or classroom full you can keep an ongoing document with students that can be used as center.  Students can add words and pictures each week to create a book of words that belong in each family.  Children can always go back to a previous word family and make additions when they have extra time.    


How do you use word families in your classroom?  Do you have any favorite activities?  


Amanda





1 comment

  1. What a great idea! I'm sure it's so motivating for the kiddos to be able to add pictures to the words. I'm thrilled to be your first follower and look forward to many amazing techie posts.:)
    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top