Digraphs, Word Clouds, and a Freebie

Common Core Alignment
  CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.3a Phonics and Word Recognition: Know the spelling-sound correspondences for common consonant digraphs (two letters that represent one sound.

It has been a week of teaching digraphs!  An exciting week in first grade-that's for sure.  We watched videos on YouTube to introduce some of our "H Brothers" and have been reading, writing and simply working with words to help us to remember the two letters that make each sound.  

Wordle has become a favorite activity of mine as I have began working technology into my classroom.  Students are extremely motivated to see their creations. Word Clouds can be tied into every subject area and kids love seeing their work in bright, fun colorful font! 


Each student created their own word cloud with "sh" and "th" words.  


When my students go to create a "Wordle" this is what they see:


Students type in as many words as they can (following our rule-this week it was sh and th words) in any given amount of time.  I typically allow 8-9 minutes for typing in words but depending on the length of my center it might be a few more minutes or a few minutes less.  

Below is what it looks like as students type in their words.  (I always have students begin by typing their first name to help identify their work.)
Students will then press "go" and be able to create their very own word cloud by choosing colors, fonts and sizes.  The more times students type a certain word the bigger it will appear in their cloud.  My kids LOVE creating word clouds! I make sure to put a visible timer up so students know how much time they have to customize their word cloud.  If it is during a center I simply allow the last 2 minutes to create the rest of the time is spent putting in the words.  


Here is an example of one of my student's word cloud:


Other ways I have used Word Clouds in my classroom: math facts (addition and subtraction subtraction,) word wall words, word family words, adjectives, and spelling words.  I have also put the kids' names in my classsroom into a word cloud and used it as my laptop background. The kids love to see it when it displayed on the SMARTBoard!

Check out this freebie word sort which I also used as a center this week.


This is one of my first graders hard at work at her center! She sorted the words and is now drawing a picture of each of the words!

Click on each of the words below to see a few of the different internet resources you can use with your students to make word clouds: Wordle, Tagxedo,  ABCya!  Word Clouds for Kids!, and WordItOut

As I become more aware of all the blog world has to offer teachers "Freebie Friday" is one of my favorite things (I don't know how I went so long without knowing about it!)  Please check out my freebie as well as many other great freebies you can use in your classroom on Teaching Blog Addict!


Freebie Fridays




Enjoy your Friday! 
Amanda


No comments

Back to Top